My name is Douglas Smith and I am a personal injury lawyer in El Paso, Texas. The vast majority of car accidents don’t involve catastrophic injuries or death. But, many of them do involve physical injuries, such as whip lash injuries affecting the back and neck. If this happens to you, do not ignore the pain or loss of mobility. Seek medical care! Don’t delay the medical care for your injuries. As a personal injury lawyer I have some more helpful hints.
- Keep a diary after the accident. Record such things as any medications you are taking, any pain you are experiencing, loss of sleep, loss of appetite and loss of mobility. Keep the diary for several months.
- If you need to miss work, try to get your attending physician to order that you not work for the time period he or she directs. The insurance company will not pay for lost income unless there are medical records directing you not to work.
- Ifyou go to an emergency room keep all medical narratives and billings handed to you or to someone who goes with you. In many cases there will be two bills, one from the emergency room services and another one from the attending physician.
- Do not hurry into a premature settlement. You will need to wait until your treatment physician, physical therapist or chiropractor determines that you have reached what is called maximum medical improvement.
- The vast majority of personal injury cases are settled before trial, but the quality of the settlement depends on the quality of documentation provided to the insurer who represents the party who caused the accident.
- It is important to consult with an accident law firm and to have an experienced accident claim attorney in your corner. You don’t have to pay an accident law firm up front. The final fee is a percentage of the final settlement at the end of the case. Historically, injured persons can obtain far more money from the insurance company with the help of an experienced lawyer.