Family Law can be complicated. I can help.

Prenuptial Agreements:

Prenuptial agreements can make very good sense for people in such situations as the following:

  • Getting married later in life after having established a career
  • Either of you is marrying for a second or subsequent time
  • You have grown children
  • You expect a substantial inheritance
  • Substantial disparity of income or assets between you
  • You run a business together

I can help you identify the community property or separate property issues that a prenuptial agreement should address, and draft terms that will satisfy your needs without taking advantage of your prospective spouse. I can also help make sure that the proposed agreement is properly drafted, fully discloses each party’s assets and liabilities, and does not contain any prohibited terms, such as stipulations concerning child support. To the extent that you’re asked to waive spousal support or claims to certain property, I’ll make sure you fully understand the effect of the document you’re being asked to sign.

Grandparents Rights:

If you’re a grandparent who wants to establish a recognized right to a relationship with your grandchild, but your son or daughter is divorced or unmarried, contact the Law Office of Douglas C. Smith in El Paso. I can answer your questions and can often help you achieve your objectives.

The question of grandparents’ rights to regular access to their grandchildren often depends on establishing that the protection and enjoyment of visitation is in the best interests of the children. I can discuss your situation with you, particularly if the primary custodial parent seems likely to oppose it, and give you a good idea as to the likelihood that you’ll prevail in Family Court. If your case shows promise, my 35 years of legal experience represent a powerful advantage in putting your strongest arguments forward for maximum persuasive effect.

I also represent grandparents whose grandchildren have one or both parents in active military service. The Texas Family Code allows grandparents to effectively succeed to a portion of the parents’ visitation or custody rights where an overseas posting or sea duty frustrates the parent’s own visitation arrangements, and also provides for flexibility to accommodate the military parent’s leave time.

Sometimes grandparents want to intervene in troubled family situations where their grandchildren are endangered by family violence, drug or alcohol abuse, or other unfortunate circumstances with the parents. In situations where you’ve had actual custody of the grandchildren for six months or more, you can bring a Suit Affecting Parent-Child Relations to obtain primary physical custody of the grandchild. In other situations, I can help you with a petition for temporary conservatorship of a grandchild as an alternative to a foster care placement.

For further advice from a Texas grandparents’ rights lawyer, contact me at the Law Office of Douglas C. Smith.