Jump to Navigation
Military Child Education Coalition could help Texas children

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Parents in Texas who are in the military know that military life can sometimes strain a marriage, even to the point of separation or divorce. Military-connected children are also affected. According to the president of the Military Child Education Coalition, school-aged military-connected children, who now number about 1.2 million, relocate three times as often as civilian students. Additionally, children of active duty parents are also more likely to experience separation problems if a parent is relocated or deployed. As Texas parents know, these issues can complicate military family life, resulting in conflicts between parents, as well as special challenges to providing a healthy education and home life for military-connected children.

With these issues in mind, parents in the military will be glad to hear about the work of the Military Child Education Coalition. By upholding Common Core Standards in areas such as science, language arts, social studies and math, the coalition works to help children get ready for college and a future career. According to the coalition's president, these standards are necessary to improving the continuity of students' academic experiences, even if the students frequently move. The standards serve as continual points of reference for growing minds, allowing for a smoother learning progression.

Of all the school-aged children of military parents in the U.S., about 80 percent go to public schools, while the remaining 20 percent attend private schools, parochial schools, Department of Defense Dependent Schools in the Pacific or Europe, or are schooled at home. Recently, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation gave a $150,000 grant to the Military Child Education Coalition to help improve those students' chances of succeeding during and after their education.

For many Texans, military service poses special family challenges related to divorce, child custody, child visitation, child support and other family law issues. Consulting with a military family law professional with experience in such matters can help ensure that parents' rights are upheld, and that the proper decisions are made regarding the care and education of military-connected children.

Source: The Sacramento Bee, "Military-Connected Children Benefit From Grant Through Military Education Coalition," Feb. 1, 2012

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
FindLaw Network

We Can Help You, Contact Us Today! Saturday Morning Appointments Available

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information
disclaimer.

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

close

Privacy Policy

Our Office Location

Law Office of Douglas C. Smith
10514 Montwood Drive
El Paso, TX 79935

El Paso Law Office Map

Review Us