Interstate Child Custody Attorney

When a child of divorced or unmarried parents in Texas remains in Texas, it’s not legally difficult to enforce the terms of a child custody or visitation order anywhere in the state. But when the custodial parent moves the child out of state, or if the child will stay for an extended period with the other parent in another state, difficult problems can arise concerning either parent’s ability to enforce his or her rights under a Texas custody order in another state.

Attorney Douglas C. Smith – Interstate Child Custody Laws

If you’re a custodial parent considering moving to another state, or allowing your child to visit the other parent in another state for an extended period of time, or if you’re a noncustodial parent in another state trying to enforce your visitation rights in Texas, I can advise and represent you. Contact the Law Office of Douglas C. Smith in El Paso for dependable advice about your rights under the interstate child custody laws.

The Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act governs the procedures for enforcing an out-of-state child custody order in Texas, or for enforcing a Texas child custody order in another state. Generally speaking, the Uniform Act limits the ability of another state to contradict the terms of an effective Texas child custody order, and streamlines the ability of a parent to enforce the terms of a Texas order in another state.

Despite the intent of the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act to standardize the enforcement of custody orders across state lines, as a practical matter the first parent to go to court – whether in Texas or in another state – enjoys at least a temporary tactical advantage in asserting his or her child custody rights. The fact that the losing party in interstate child custody disputes can be held liable for the prevailing party’s attorney’s fees and court costs neutralizes this advantage to a great extent.

If you have any questions about interstate child custody enforcement, or if you believe that a parent in another state is jeopardizing your parental rights, contact my law firm for dependable advice in El Paso.

Law Office Of Douglas C. Smith

El Paso, Texas, Business, Family, Personal Injury, and Military Lawyer

3100 Trawood Dr., Unit B1,
El Paso, TX, 79936,

Phone: (915) 593-6600 or (915) 256-0579

Cortesía de Douglas C. Smith

(915) 593-6600 or (915) 256-0579

Enjoyed working with us?