El Paso Military Divorce Lawyer
If you or your spouse - or both of you - serve in the U.S. Armed Forces and need advice about any family law issue from prenuptial agreements to divorce or modification of a child support or custodial decree, contact an experienced military divorce attorney at the Law Office of Douglas C. Smith in El Paso for a free consultation.
Law Office of Douglas C. Smith - El Paso Military Divorce Lawyer
I have practiced family law, estate planning and administration, and small business law in West Texas for 25 years. Before that, I served in the Army as a JAG officer at Fort Leavenworth, the Canal Zone, Fort Davis, and Fort Bliss. In my last posting, I was Chief of Civil and Administrative Law at Fort Bliss. In my own frequent transfers and in the caseload I handled myself, I saw the strains that military service placed on family life, and saw many marriages end in divorce.
My practice devotes a very substantial amount of effort to helping military families confront and overcome the challenges of divorce, child custody, and other family law issues. I think you'll find that my combination of military experience and thorough understanding of the Texas Family Code can represent a powerful resource for you in matters involving any of the following:
- Your right to protection from legal process under the Servicemembers' Civil Relief Act(SCRA)
- Difficult issues of jurisdiction as they relate to residence, domicile, and military home of record
- Calculating child support obligations from Leave and Earnings Statements
- Dividing military retirement benefits under Texas community property law
- Child visitation and parenting time problems when the noncustodial parent is on active duty
- Former military spouses' rights under the FSPA
I can offer advice to active duty military personnel or their spouses anywhere in the world by e-mail and phone, and if we can get jurisdiction over your case in El Paso County, Texas I can handle your problem on a remote basis.
Like everyone else here in El Paso, I'm grateful for your service to our nation, and I look forward to the opportunity to do what I can to make your job easier. For the advice of a seasoned military divorce lawyer, contact the Law Office of Douglas C. Smith for a free consultation.